Cartwright, Druker & Ryden Law Offices
Home Our History Attorneys Contact Us Resources

History

Marshall County Courthouse

Cartwright, Druker & Ryden may be the oldest organization, either professional or business, in Marshalltown, Iowa, as well as being the third oldest Iowa law firm.  The law firm's founder was H.E.J. Boardman, who was born in 1828.  He was admitted to practice law in Iowa in 1859, four years before Marshalltown was incorporated in 1863. 

H.E.J. Boardman was trial lawyer, a trustee of Iowa College at Grinnell (presently Grinnell College), president of the Farmers Savings Bank, and a director and general counsel of the Central Railroad of Iowa, forerunner of M & St.L Railroad.  At H.E.J.'s death in 1899, his nephew and partner, C.H.E. Boardman continued the firm and added two partners, C.S. Aldrich and Graham W. Lawrence. 

Upon the departure of Aldrich and Lawrence, Boardman formed a partnership in 1925 with Harold G. Cartwright, a graduate of the Drake University Law School.  The firm name of Boardman & Cartwright continued until Mr. Boardman's death in 1942.  Among C.H.E. Boardman's clients were the Lennox Machine Company, then owned by David Lennox, who invented the original home heating furnace.  Harold G. Cartwright continued the tradition of the firm as a trial lawyer and as a counselor for substantial business interests.  He died in 1982 but his name continues in the firm title.  Cartwright Hall, on the Drake campus, is also named after H.G.

Harry Druker began the practice of law in Marshalltown in 1931, joined Boardman & Cartwright in 1935, and became a partner in 1942.  Mr. Druker retired from the active practice in 1982, moved to Palo Alto, California in 1991, and passed away in 2004. 

George G. Fagg, born and reared in Eldora, Iowa, joined the firm in 1958 following his graduation from the Drake University Law School. 

Rex J. Ryden was reared in Des Moines and received both undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Iowa.  He began the law practice in New York City in 1957.  Upon starting a family, he returned to Iowa and associated with Boardman, Cartwright & Druker.  In 1962 the name of the firm was changed to Cartwright, Druker, Ryden & Fagg.  George Fagg resigned in 1972 to become an Iowa District Court Judge after which, in 1982, he was appointed by the President to be a judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.  The firm then reverted to Cartwright, Druker & Ryden, its present name.  Judge Fagg continued to serve on the Eighth Circuit until his retirement in April 2006.

Law Office: CDR

John F. Veldey, born in Estherville, Iowa, likewise did his preparatory and legal education at the University of Iowa.  He joined the firm in 1967 directly out of law school and continues as a partner.

Three former partners are no longer affiliated with the firm.  William M. Tank was with the firm from 1978 through 1984 when he was forced to retire due to health problems.  He passed away in 2008.   John B. (Jack) Grier practiced with Cartwright, Druker & Ryden from 1972 to 2007, when he left the firm.  Michael J. Moon practiced with the firm from 1974 to 1992, and is now serving as an Iowa District Court judge of the Second Judicial District. 

In 1986, Joel and Sharon Greer both became associated with the firm.  Joel T. S. Greer was reared in Spencer, obtained his B.A. and J.D. degrees from the University of Iowa, and practiced with Grefe & Sidney in Des Moines in 1978-80.  He returned to Spencer with the Greer, Nelson, Montgomery, Barry & Bovee firm from 1980 to 1986, with his father, John J. Greer. 

Sharon Soorholtz Greer, who was reared in rural Marshall County, studied at Iowa State University, and received her J.D. from the University of Iowa.  In 1982, she married Joel and started the practice of law in Spencer with him. Both are now partners in the Cartwright, Druker & Ryden firm.